Contact with irritants from poison ivy, oak and sumac can turn into itchy problems. Use Tecnu® Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser, a poison ivy wash, after you have been outdoors to remove the rash causing oil, called urushiol (oo-roo-she-all), from poison ivy, oak and sumac.
Wash with Tecnu to remove poison ivy, oak and sumac oil. Simply apply Tecnu to dry skin, rub vigorously for two minutes, and rinse with cool water or wipe off with a cloth. When used within 2-8 hours after exposure to poison oak, ivy or sumac, Tecnu can remove urushiol oil before the rash begins. Once a poison plant rash has started, washing with Tecnu helps remove any free oil on the skin allowing the natural healing process to begin without the possible spreading of poison ivy or oak (re-contamination).
Poison ivy and oak oil can also spread from contaminated clothing, shoes, gloves, tools and pets. Since urushiol oil does not evaporate, it can remain on these items for months or even years at a time. Use Tecnu Original to wash off the oil and avoid a poison ivy or oak rash from secondary contact.
deodorized mineral spirits, water, propylene glycol, octylphenoxy-polyethoxyethanol, mixed fatty acid soap, fragrance
- Removes poison oak and ivy oil, urushiol, that causes rash and itching
- Tecnu is most effective when used within the first two hours after exposure or as soon as rash appears
- Keep out of reach of children.
- For external use only.
- Should not be applied to raw or oozing area of skin.
- If redness occurs, discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Keep out of eyes and other mucous membranes.
Before the rash has started:
- Apply Tecnu to exposed unwetted skin within 8 hours after exposure to poisonous plants.
- Rub vigorously for 2 minutes to remove oil and other contaminants from skin. If hyper-sensitive, wash entire body with Tecnu.
- Rinse skin clean with cool running water or wipe off with a cloth. Repeat.
As soon as rash appears:
- Apply Tecnu to affected skin and surrounding areas. For best results apply to entire body. Rub in for 2 minutes but avoid breaking the skin.
- Rinse with cool running water to remove Tecnu and poison oils. If itching persists, reapply Tecnu, then rinse in a very warm shower (not a bath).
- Towel dry gently
- Repeat as necessary and before retiring.
To clean pets:
- Saturate a cloth with Tecnu and wipe down the pet's coat.
- Follow with pet shampoo and water bath.
- Tecnu can also remove skunk spray from your pet's fur.
To clean clothing:
- Saturate unwetted clothing with Tecnu in a bucket for several minutes.
- Launder by itself with detergent and hot water.
- Check for color fastness by testing a concealed corner of the fabric.
To clean tools:
- Wipe down tools with a cloth saturated with Tecnu.
- Wash with soap and water.
To remove sap and pitch:
- Apply Tecnu directly and rub until stain dissolves to clean pitch, tree sap, road tar, grass stains and other substances from skin, tools and clothing.
- Wash with soap and water.